Extra Credit Event 1: Weak or No Signal: MFA Design Media Arts Thesis Show

The event "Weak or No Signal"  was really visual and sound concentrated exhibition by the graduating class of 2018 at UCLA. They provided monitor and head sets for pretty much every crafts that they exhibited. According to the explanation of the exhibition articulated contemporary subject matters, from hyper-mediated social relationships to artificial intelligence, technological utopianism, and the increasing fallibility of the image. Since I am an Electrical Engineering major and considering artificial intelligence and machine learning as my future career, I was really interested in this topic.



As soon as I enter the entrance, I could see this picture on the left it is called "(b)Latant Space: Facile Substance". As the first time looking at this art craft, I did not really capture the purpose of this piece. However, It was enough to grab my attention. I looked at the thing on the right, which made me think of biotech and neuroscience lectures since it looked like a cell for me. After this, I was more curious about the rest of arts.

(b)Latant Space: Facile Substance by A M Chung





This is picture of me with the "Aposematic". This craft was expressing the desert, animist, and virus. At a glance, I could recognize the spooky object on the floor is the virus. This reminded me of Neuroscience + Art lecture. I was inspired that the virus could be expressed in three dimensional shape with pointy edges. I think the thing on the middle is animist. The sticks were moving left and right.

Aposematic by Sarah Rosalena Brady





This media art, "In or, around sedition", looked like a short movie with the artificially intelligent robots. This reminded me of Robotics + Art lecture, the improvement of the Robotics inspired the artist and it resulted as an art craft. Beside the screen there was a head sets that creates creepy sounds that I did not really like. Also the circumstances around this art was special as well, since the head set was hanging on the ceiling. I think it was to create some abnormal, violent and horror moods.

In or, around sedition by Stalgia Grigg



Overall, the exhibition was really abnormal, unexpected and immersive. The mood of this exhibition was really expressive. Since the robotics, science and technology are developed they could think of the cells, AI robots, create the metallic machine that can move, and even the screen with the media support. Now it is really close to the end of this course, I can obviously see that the relations with the two fields of studying and thoughts. People often consider that these two fields are uncombinable, like water and oil. However, the border between them are nowadays really blurred and collapsed.



Work Cited:

Harris, Tom. “How Robots Work.” HowStuffWorks Science, HowStuffWorks, 8 Mar. 2018, science.howstuffworks.com/robot6.htm.

“Image of the Week: Red Blood Cells.” Wellcome Trust Blog, 5 June 2015, blog.wellcome.ac.uk/2015/06/05/image-of-the-week-red-blood-cells/.

Krug, Robert M., and Robert R. Wagner. “Virus.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 7 Feb. 2018, www.britannica.com/science/virus/Size-and-shape.

“UCLA Design Media Arts.” UCLA Design Media Arts Full, dma.ucla.edu/.

“What Is Media Art?” What Is Media Art? | NIMk, www.nimk.nl/eng/education/what-is-media-art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Math + Art

Event 1: Acoustical Visions, Bill Fontana